onsdag 1 oktober 2014

How i stopped Worrying and learnt how to love AV10-a New army project

To be completely honest, my motivation to play Grey knights has been waning ever since i started reading some of the more substantiated rumours earlier this year. I mean, certain things where inevitable, losing none sculpted characters? Sure, getting a nerf to the Psy cannon? we all saw those coming. But my griping mainly concerns the weird surgery they did on the codex as a whole. The wholecloth removals and piecemeal additions.

But this isn't my griping post. I'll get back to that. Just a heads up to anyone that reads that i'll probably be posting more and more of my new army rather than the old.

But before we get to that part.

I've been eyeing a third army for a while now. Initially my wandering eyes started straying towards the CSM, But i was wavering as to wether or not i was going to go Full Nurgle or not. And that's when i realised that i wasn't all that enthused about playing a similar army style, so i started looking at polar opposites of the Grey Knights. So what i wanted was.

* A fast army that can still shoot
* An army that wasn't representated among my playgroup
* An army whose design and estetics were polar opposites of what my current "lego vehicles" "pauldroned bro's" were.

That's when i was gripped by a sudden fancy. There IS an army that has all this, and more. An army that has all the durability of a cardboard umbrella, and the striking power of a razor. I am talking of, of course. The pleasant Gentry of comorragh.


Now, i was fortunate enough to pick up a large collection of Dark Eldar from a pleasant chap that was looking to get into the Waaaauuughing side of life. And an entire BOX of 5E kabalites warriors.

 So i got a hold of the following in quick order.

*god knows how many kabalites (40<)
*four hellions
*one ravager
*two raiders
* approximately five trueborns ( the previous owner had done a bang-up-job of converting them with CC weapons and pistols)


And i picked up a couple of other sundries to round out the army.

The bottom box is filled with ONLY kabalites.


All in all though, i was pretty excited to get started. The sculpts are amazing, the codex was exciting and for the first time in a very long time , i was looking forward to assembling and painting.

Until i was struck by the "oh-my-good-how-the-hell-am-i-gonna-paint-this".

Once again the internet proved to be right about everything all the time, a quick googling for "how to paint dark eldar" yielded this particular gem.

I found a lot of good tutorials. My favorite has to be this one



Particularly the step by step description regarding how to highlight, in the end i chose to do my own a bit more discreet. But i was very happy with the end result.

The first batch ended up looking like this.

An sybarite with a Blast pistol and a Power sword. 

Same one, i should probably borrow a camera to do these. Particularly happy with the chest piece.

I've done a complete squad so far, and now i just have too get my shit in gear and start a proper vehicular Scheme. 

Feeling good so far. 

Now the point i was going to make is the following. 

I think that it is inevitable that we all get some form "painters block", and giving in to that impulse of getting a new army might actually be helpfull with that. I think the important part is to keep your dab hand at it. And just keep painting/modelling something. Obviously it isn't viable at ever juncture in your life, but most of the time? Probably. 

The worst part is probably when you've modelled a large part of the army, you have it in front of you, and you get intimidated. It's probably happened to everyone atleast once, in some form or the other. When it happens to me i find it conductive to just sit down with some mates and try to get a painting circle together, it makes all my painting go slower(interestingly enough) but it is conductive for improving my technique, and makes me eager to practice it and evolve it.

just my two cents. 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar